Thursday, April 3, 2014

Spring has Sprung!

I recently bought a FitBit so I have spent a lot of time walking the neighborhood (in a non-prostitute way :-D). Spring is short lived here in San Antonio.  By next month the temps will be well in the 90's and the humidity not far below that. But- for a month or so I will be able to enjoy sites like these



 
Texas Bluebonnets!

These are so pretty but they don't stay long.  My favorite part of spring are the Bluebonnets and seeing people pulled over on the sides of the roads taking pictures of the kids.  Bluebonnets are the state flower here in Texas and are sacred!  You are not allowed to pick them or remove them in any way so once they start blooming in one spot they will continue to multiply year after year until there is a large patch of them.  Most of the time, this is a great thing. I'm not sure that this home owner appreciates it though...

 
This is one of my neighbor's front yard.  It's so pretty but he has to mow his lawn with a weed whacker so that he doesn't disturb the bluebonnets and has to tolerate people coming by to take pictures of and in front of his house.
 
Believe it or not, this is another sign of spring in San Antonio:

 
Our Live Oak Trees don't drop their leaves until spring when the new leaves push the old ones out
so we see tons of little leaves being raked up in the spring.
 
I like the renewing properties of Spring. 
 Old leaves making way for new ones.
Bushes and trees budding and then blooming. 
 Daughters deciding to give quilting a try....
Yep!  You read that right. 
 It turns out that quilting DIDN'T skip a generation...
It was just lying dormant waiting for SPRING!
 
As I mentioned in my last post I began giving my grand-daughter Lillian quilting lessons.  She has been so eager to sew and quilt and has really taken to the process.
 
Well, she and my daughter-in-law, Natalie, had their first quilt block lesson. 
 
 
Measuring TWICE, Cutting ONCE!

 
                     
    
 FINISHED 9-Patches!  Look at those intersections!
 
Well, when my daughter, Teresa, 
saw Lillian and Natalie enjoying themselves
she decided to jump in!
 
 
 
Getting the feel of the sewing machine.
 
 
Precision, Precision, Precision!

Every quilter will 'Frog-Stitch" now and again!
(Rip-it Rip-it, Rip-it!)
 
 
We PRESS!  No steam, no IRONING!


 
 FINISHED!  Doesn't it look great!
 
I was talking to my mother-in-law, Carnell, about how fun it was to teach my girls how to quilt and she pointed out something that gave me such a wonderful feeling. 
 
I have taught four Generations of women quilting!
I taught both my mom and my mother-in-law, my daughters and my grand-daughter as well as some of my contemporaries.  How special is that?
 
Until next time,
May your needles be sharp and your tops square!
 
Irene
 
 

3 comments:

  1. You are truly blessed to pass on such a gift of love. Can't wait to see some beautiful quilts..
    ;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Bird would be proud of your neighbor's yard!! I can still remember her "wildflower" efforts of the '60's!!

    What a wonderful time you must be having teaching your "girls" to quilt!! I hope they know how special this time together with you is! What great memories for them to hold on to! My mom and grandmother quilted, but, sadly, I didn't learn from them. I got the bug long after they were both gone. I have one daughter who would not let me teach her to sew. She is 40 now and still has no desire, but if she needs anything sewn, her HUSBAND does it for her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to have my favorite quilters visiting -- Teresa and Irene

    ReplyDelete