Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Retreat Treat!

I love going on quilt retreats.  To my way of thinking, there is little better than being in a room with a bunch of ladies with the common goal of finishing... finishing quilts that have been started and put away, finishing the quilts that you just started at the retreat.  And retreats let you devote yourself 100% to the tasks at hand.  No need to clean up after each quilt session and meals are prepared and served by someone else.  Better yet, there's no dinner dishes to concern yourself with and no guilt that they are sitting in the sink. 

I had the pleasure of joining the New Braunfels Area Quilt Guild at their retreat at picturesque Summers Mill Retreat and Conference Center in Belton, Texas.  Summers Mill has several types of accommodations and offers walking trails, scenic views, lovely grounds and well kept lodging. 
And every where you look is a photo opportunity!

The Rutherford House
 
The Hillside and Texas Dining Room
 
Inside the Hillside Dining Room
 
Chapel in the Woods

Lone Star Cabin


 
I love this old oak tree! 
 
And look at this fence!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 How clever is that???
 
And look at this....


 
This quilt is hanging in the dining room.  Each of the ladies here, along with a few that are not pictured contributed a block to this wonderful quilt that depicts the bicycle fence.  Each was told to use whatever fabrics they wanted to use.

 

Here is my roommate and friend Meliza.  I met Meliza in Plano, Texas when Bonnie Hunter taught at Fabric Fanatics.  We became great friends and decided to be roomies for this retreat.   In this picture she is busy at work on one of  3 or 4 of  her Bonnie Hunter designed quilts that she's working on.

 
Everyone working hard!
 

 
As for me, I brought along Roll Roll Cotton Boll (another Bonnie Hunter Design). 
 

 
 
String Blocks
 
String Blocks cut in half
to make these blocks...
 
 
Fun!
 
I have about 20 more string blocks to do.  And then there's the 600 half-square triangles to do!
Oh well, one step at a time, right?

Of course you aren't going to make 70 blocks and not have a boo-boo...
 
Yikes!  I hate it when that happens.

 
 
Carefully removing the upside down piece.



 
Sewing it back in place. 
 Loretta Lynn (my tan Featherweight) accompanied me on this retreat.

 
 
Ahhhh.  All better!
 
I'm so glad that I was able to see it BEFORE I had the whole quilt together. 
I cannot wait to see this one all done!

Until next time!

Irene


1 comment:

  1. I too love retreats! So nice to just focus on sewing and chattering away!

    ReplyDelete